My two current favorite songs are below. Your True Colors was written for Venus, who I proposed to out on a surfboard in Waikiki, Hawaii recently. (I asked her to marry me in the song.) Out on one knee in the middle of the ocean, she said yes and life has never been sweeter. The Rush, well, it’s obvious to me what it’s about. The latest versions of these songs will likely end up on my SoundCloud account when I get around to it.
CURRENT FAVORITE SONGS:
- The Rush v9 Keith Cleversley 4:00
- Your True Colors v12 Keith Cleversley 4:28
- You're My Fire v17 Keith Cleversley 4:20
I went through piles of old tapes, files, and drives, and found over 300 songs that had barely been started; ideas that had a beat and a few tracks added to them and then forgotten about. In 2013, after traveling the world with the woman my life will always revolve around, while building a beyond-my-dreams pioneering business that was one of the first to offer sacred entheogens such as Ayahuasca and Salvia Divinorum, the urge to pursue my music again became far too irresistible to ignore. I’m a pilot and built an airplane that I fly as often as possible (some photos here), I’ve traveled with Venus to primary forest in the Amazon to work with an Ayahuasca shaman, I’ve become a certified Zen Practitioner and teacher, and developed a (free) 20-hour course in Zen Buddhism at www.MyZen.org while hoping to finish a 5 book series on Zen called “Life & Zen“.
BUT, music is one of those constants in my life that has always been with me.
So, I’m still working to narrow those 324 demos into 4 initial albums that I plan to release all at once sometime in the future. After that initial release, I’ll release my 5th album later in the year, or I may, by then, release the 5th record at the same time as well. At the moment, all of these tracks are played, mixed, and produced by me, but I dream of doing them all with a live band in a studio before they’re released, perhaps with some of the amazing musicians I’ve worked with over the past years. Time will tell.
01. Antidote: This was going to be my first album. I started it in 1985 when I was a pup, and it’s music that I made up to about 1995. I recorded a few of them in various studios when I was working on other bands’ music, but never actually recorded them with a band of my own. Included is the very first song I ever wrote at called “Favorite Star”, as well as others I recorded while working on Mercury Rev and Flaming Lips records over the years.
02. Almost Awake: This is music I’ve been working on from 1995 to about 2005. Most of it is as rough and raw as it gets as I can barely get an idea down before I want to get another one started. This has always been my issue, and another reason why none of my songs are much more than demos. I’m always writing songs, but always doing so many other things that steal my passion equally as much. Seems ironic when I’ve produced and/or engineered close to 100 albums in my 30 year music career for other bands.
03. Songs to Venus: The biggest roller coaster adventure of my life, and much of the intense ride was me slowly realizing that I was in an extraordinarily beautiful and deeply troubled relationship that would take me beyond my limits more than once. These songs were written not so much as traditional love songs, but songs written in response to the intensity of that time, and feelings that were too intense to do anything else with. During that time, I learned what it means to truly love. For glimpses into the amazing depths as well as the deepest loneliness of life, I couldn’t be anything other than grateful to Venus, the love of my life.
04. Awake Now: This is the music I’ve been working on over the past 5 years. I’m not sure there’s really much evolution in my songs; what comes out of me seems to come out of me. Whether I was 14 or 40…I’m not sure all that time ago sounds any different than today. I suppose there’s something to be said for consistency. My problem isn’t writing songs, it’s NOT dumping 10 song ideas at a time onto my audio memos, then forgetting about them when I have 10 more the next week. I do like the sound and style that’s come out in Your True Colors and My Only Flame.
05. Still Here (Tentative): This is the project I’m working on now. I’m not sure where it’s headed yet, but songs will appear here as they get finished. This will either be released with the 4 above, or I will work on it as a separate release on 2017 or 2018. Most likely, it’s going to have a lot more songs like “Your True Colors” but only time will tell. For now, I just have to stay alive until then.
06. Journey to the Void: This is part of a large number of soundscapes I’ve written over the years. I’ve got about 30 hours of these, and plan to release at least a few of them on at least an album or two or three. When I am in deep meditation, and having out of body and non-body experiences, this is the music I have on my headphones to anchor me back in my body when it’s time to return to it.
06. The Sacred Tone: This is a intensive project that combines finely-tuned natural rhythms and frequencies to entrain the brain to enter a deeply meditative state using binaural beats. The Earth resonates at 7.83Hz, which was discovered to be the exact frequency that experienced Tibetan monks brains resonate at when in deep meditation. I built a binaural tone generator and used it with this 60 minute meditation session that consists of ocean waves pulsing at a set frequency, combined with subtle binaural beats and “Om”. It’s a large 120MB download, so be patient.
01. ANTIDOTE (1985-1995)
- Once in a While Keith Cleversley 3:49
- Favorite Star i1 Keith Cleversley 3:31
- If You were a Star Keith Cleversley 4:09
- Perfect In You Keith Cleversley 3:10
- Devil Gets Things Done Keith Cleversley 3:46
02. ALMOST AWAKE (1995-2005)
- Fill Your Mouth Keith Cleversley 3:33
- So Beautiful v7 Keith Cleversley 2:22
- Feel You Keith Cleversley 3:44
03. SONGS TO VENUS (2005-2015)
- Loved v23 Keith Cleversley 4:01
- So Far Away v12b Keith Cleversley 3:49
- Now v10 Keith Cleversley 3:53
- Calm Before the Storm v8 Keith Cleversley 3:40
- If I Were v9 Keith Cleversley 5:19
- Never Enough v9 Keith Cleversley 4:07
- Waiting for My Sunshine Keith Cleversley 1:35
- Into the Blue v19 Keith Cleversley 5:04
- Heaven to Me v10 Keith Cleversley 3:53
04. AWAKE NOW (2015-2017)
- My Only Flame v7 Keith Cleversley 4:36
- By Your Side v25 Keith Cleversley 4:28
- Way I Need You v5 Keith Cleversley 3:01
- The Rush v9 Keith Cleversley 4:00
- My Butterfly v5 Keith Cleversley 3:29
- You're My Fire v17 4:20
- Take My Hand v3 Keith Cleversley 3:20
- Home v19 Keith Cleversley 3:53
- Your True Colors v13 Keith Cleversley 4:05
05. STILL HERE (2017?)
06. JOURNEYS TO THE VOID (2005-Present)
- Entering Space v5 Keith Cleversley 12:23
07. SACRED TONE 7.83Hz (2005)
- Sacred Tone 7.83 Part 1 Keith Cleversley 30:00
- Sacred Tone 7.83 Part 2 Keith Cleversley 33:00
08. ACOUSTIC SETS (2005 – Present)
- If You Were a Star Keith Cleversley 4:11